If you were wondering if a Siri-like functionality application will appear for Android or iPhone, now you have the answer: A new app developed by True Knowledge, Evi, has just been released in the App Store and it introduces the concept of the artificial intelligence on the mobile devices. It is a virtual assistant which behaves like a search engine with natural language processing combined with voice recognition. Evi tries to understand what you want to know by using artificial intelligence methods, a knowledge database and searching through web and returns the best responses, when consulted. You can download Evi for $0.99 from the App Store or get it free, if you are an Android user.
We’ve made some tests and threw a variety of questions to the web engine and we were mostly pleased with the results as we could notice some intelligence in providing the answers. It is definitely not a Siri replacement, because it is different in many ways.
- Voice or text input – Chat to Evi in plain English and she will understand;
- Local information for UK and USA – Shopping, news, dining and more. Evi knows where you are and gives answers based on your location;
- One tap words – Allowing you to build your question super-fast;
- Built in browser – No need to swap to a different browser, view web links within Evi’s app;
- A learning and adapting intelligence – Rate Evi’s answers to help her learn more about the world;
TechCrunch believes that Evi is actually smarter than Siri in the accuracy of providing answers. It also handles giving answers which are not about USA but it has its disadvantages like no access to Apple’s stock iOS apps (you can’t send a text message, use your calendar, find contacts) and can’t handle much background noise (problems in speech recognition).
“Obviously Evi is a mobile app right now. But she could be integrated into television, the web, games consoles, you name it.”