Apple launched iOS 7.1, making the first major update to the mobile OS since it was redesigned last year. iPhone 4 users, the oldest model supported by the operating system, have experienced some issues, as there were several iOS 7 features that didn’t work at all on the iPhone 4, including Siri, AirDrop, AirPlay Mirroring, and a few special effects across the user interface including parallax, some translucency effects, and live wallpapers.
Apple claims it’s fixed these problems and added a few new features, including Siri and Touch ID enhancements. iOS 7.1 carries a build number of 11D169b.
Accessibility has been improved with a new “Button Shapes” option that indicates where tappable areas are placed, a “Darken Colors” option, and an improvement to Contrast allowing users to reduce iOS 7’s white point.
The 7.1 update has also brought much quicker animations and attempted to keep things running smoothly.
The new version also received “HFP prompts” in the Maps app, which allows you to listen to your car’s built-in radio or other input devices while using your Bluetooth-connected iPhone for navigation. With 7.1, your car will be automatically told to switch over to Bluetooth when it needs to play an audible direction reminder. After the device is done speaking the direction, it will automatically switch back to whatever you were previously doing. The principle it works is similar to a phone call or Siri activity through your car’s Bluetooth system.
These are only a few attempts to enhance the work of the operating system. A multitude of minor improvements are also included into the update. Full release notes are as follows:
- iOS experience designed for the car
- Simply connect your iPhone to a CarPlay enabled vehicle
- Supports Phone, Music, Maps, Messages, and 3rd-party audio apps
- Control with Siri and the car’s touchscreen, knobs, and buttons
- Manually control when Siri listens by holding down the home button while you speak and releasing it when you’re done as an alternative to letting Siri automatically notice when you stop talking
- New, more natural sounding male and female voices for Mandarin Chinese, UK English, Australian English, and Japanese
- Search field above Featured Stations to easily create stations based on your favorite artist or song
- Buy albums with the tap of a button from Now Playing
- Subscribe to iTunes Match on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to enjoy iTunes Radio ad-free
- Option to display events in month view
- Country specific holidays automatically added for many countries
- Bold font option now includes the keyboard, calculator, and many icon glyphs
- Reduce Motion option now includes Weather, Messages, and multitasking UI animations
- New options to display button shapes, darken app colors, and reduce white point
- New Camera setting to automatically enable HDR for iPhone 5s
- iCloud Keychain support in additional countries
- FaceTime call notifications are automatically cleared when you answer a call on another device
- Fixes a bug that could occasionally cause a home screen crash
- Improves Touch ID fingerprint recognition
- Improved performance for iPhone 4
- Fixes display of Mail unread badge for numbers greater than 10,000
- Continued user interface refinements
iOS 7.1 can be downloaded via the software update tool in the settings menu on iOS devices.